Wednesday 26 March 2014

Rio Rio | Topshop - A New Favourite






Topshop Lipstick in 'Rio Rio' - Link

Hey lovelies! Sorry for my lack of posting lately; things have been really hectic lately but hopefully it'll start to relax again soon and I can blog more regularly. Today I have a post about a product I have fallen for recently. If you read my recent beauty haul then you'll know I recently bought my first ever Topshop makeup items! Ooooh, how exciting! In the set that I got there was a cream blush in the shade 'Morning Dew' and a lipstick in the shade 'Rio Rio'. Since buying the lipstick, I have been wearing it non-stop and is fast becoming my go-to shade. I'm definately not a bright lips girl as I'm more into lip balm however I think this lipstick may have converted me. I have been wanted to try a Topshop lipstick for a while as I've read so many rave reviews about the quality (some say it's similar to that of MAC - some say better!) so I though I'd give one a go!

Firstly, the packaging. Packaging is important and Topshop have certainly not let me down. The lipstick is cased in a pretty black and white tube that is quirky and cute due to the stripes and text font but still sophisticated due to the colour scheme. Also, on the bottom, the name sticker mirrors the colour of the lipstick which I love as it makes routing round for it so much easier. The size is also quite small making it handy for stashing in my handbag. Overall, I love the packing is one of my favourites for lip products.

Onto the colour.. 'Rio Rio' is a beautiful red shade with quite strong orange undertones. It is extremely bright and therefore not for the faint-hearted however it has converted me, maybe it could for you? As it is so bold, I've been loving wearing this on days were I don't have time to apply more than a coat of mascara to my eyes. I find that this lipstick instantly makes me feel more 'done' even without a tonne of eye makeup. The combination of a bold lip and simple eyes is one of my favourites. On the photos above, the colour in the actual tube looks way too pink (sorry, bad lighting!). It is just slightly less orange than the photo on myself shows. The colour is just perfect for summer and I think it would look gorgeous with a tan. I can imagine this on beautiful tanned skin with just a hint of tinted moisturizer, a coat of mascara and beachy waves. I am unfortunately not blessed with tanned skin or beachy hair however I still love it on my NW10 skin.

Finally, onto the formula. I hate lipsticks in that the majority of them dry out my lips however this seems to be an exception. It's a semi-matte finish in that it goes on quite glossy then after a while goes matte. When I first wore this, I was quite worried about it been matte (we do not get along! I'm talking about you Kate Moss 107!) however this is not drying in the slightest. One coat and my lips are beautifully moisturized and opaque. In terms of lasting power, it lasts a few hours then I need a touch up. I usually wipe off the remaining lipstick, add a coat of my EOS then apply a new coat of 'Rio Rio' just to avoid any flakes. If I'm eating (which I tend to do.. a lot!) the lipstick will obviously come off however I don't mind pulling out this cute little packaging. 

Overall, I absolutely love this lipstick! The packaging is cute, the colour is gorgeous, it lasts a long time and it doesn't dry out my lips - perfect! My only issue with this lipstick is that you don't seem to get very much product. I've never actually reached the bottom of a lipstick so this may be a minor issue. Topshop lipsticks retail at £8.00 which isn't too cheap however Revlon lip products retail at £7.99 so it's definitely drugstore. When comparing it to MAC's £15.00, it's a bargain considering the formulation is apparently extremely similar (I unfortunalty can't comment on that *sobs*). I am currently on the hunt for new colours to try so if you have any recommendations, let me know :)

Megan xx

No comments:

Post a Comment